Tuesday, August 15, 2017

August 14th and 18th

Oasis

I'm beginning to feel like my garden plots are little island oasis amidst a desert.  I'm sure you have noticed, the lack of rain has made the ground rock hard, the native plants, like golden rod and milkweed, wilt and the grass turn a crispy brown.  I grew up in Ohio and then lived in West Virginia awhile where the trees where huge, the road edges lush with wild flowers and the poison ivy leaves were bigger than my head.  Alright, I don't miss the large poison ivy, but I am starting to miss lush green.  We've had three dry years in a row now and I think I have decided to drill a new well.  It's an unexpected expense, and I would much rather buy a new implement, but I feel as though we are starting to tax our personal wells and is an important step.  A friend and dowser came and picked "the perfect" spot, so hopefully we'll strike it rich!  I even felt a pull with the dowsing rod, so just maybe...


Color me red and yellow and pink and orange and purple!  The tomatoes are coming in strong and their bright colors are much appreciated.  And the flavor is outstanding!  


This Week's Bounty: lettuce, hakurei, cabbage, carrot, beans, cukes, zukes, summer squash, eggplant, pepper, tomato and basil


The Farmer's Table: (a small sample of what we indulge in here at the farm!)
*more roast beef sandwiches, this time sliced with our new meat slicer : )
*a take on Tiella Barese, but with lobster instead of mussels (thanks to a generous gift from a shareholder!)  new potatoes and Pink Oyster mushrooms