Monday, July 4, 2011

July 5th and 8th

It's Strawberry Time!!!
Don't miss out on the most luscious berries! Picking is still good and you'll be happy for those frozen berries packed in your freezer come January. This week feel free to bring a nonsharholder friend with you to pick.

Berry picking is one of my favorite things to do. I like to go out for a few hours every evening and glean. Munching my way through a row and filling up a bowl or two to freeze for the winter. So far I have picked over 200 pounds! It is exciting to see so many after such a poor crop last year. Pickers may have noticed there is a small flock of cedar waxwings gleaning the berries too. They are a beautiful fluttery bird with a high pitched shrill. They are lucky they are my favorite bird, or I don't think I would be so keen on sharing my fruit!

July 4th...this is the time of year we begin to transition into some new veggies: peas, baby beets, baby carrots, cabbage... The weather has certainly thrown several curveballs this year and I am still feeling like things are a bit behind. The peas unfortunately won't produce as much as I would like, but I see a good crop of new potatoes, green beans and cucumbers on the way (sometime in mid-late July). Until then we will continue to load up on fresh greens, summer turnips and chinese cabbage.

A few months ago, I had a woman contact me from the Farmer's Almanac www.farmersalmanac.com asking if I would do an interview about "What is a Community Supported Agriculture". I agreed and the You Tube video was just released last week. Although I don't think I will be asked to be in any Hollywood movies, some of you were featured and are looking pretty good! Check it out!


This Week's Loot: lettuce, spinach?, beet greens, hakurei turnips, garlic scapes, chinese cabbage, tat soi and a few shell peas

Chinese/Napa Cabbage:
It's light and crunchy, cook it, eat it raw, use as a taco topping or an egg roll wrapper!