Tuesday, June 23, 2020

June 23rd and 26th

Summer's Toil


So I am still feeling optimistic that we will have a fabulous crop this year, and I generally try and make the weekly blog about the positive things happening on the farm, but I am going to be honest, the past few days have been rough.  The soil is SO dry and the air is SO hot, we had hundreds of plants die late last week.  Of course, it is frustrating the time and effort we put into seeding, planting, covering and watering (oh my! so much hose dragging!) but most of all it makes me sad to see those little plants suffer, they were so gorgeous when we planted them.  I have reseeded some and hopefully there will be enough Maine growing season to see them bear fruit.  Farming is SO weather dependent and every year has its thing, but this one has really gotten me as it has never happened before.  Chin up, one foot in front of the other, we will make it I know, but today I am feeling a little low.




We are also battling a groundhog who favors broccoli.  Simon is on its tail, but it is the furthest field so he does not wander out there on his own.  We have given the ground hog a talkin' to....I mean there is grass and sweet clover galore.... hopefully he took the hint.



The good news is, we have new crops coming in every week to keep your taste buds happy.  Pray for rain, we could use a smidge.  Enjoy every bite .... remember that nearly everything you put in your mouth comes from a farmer, somewhere, who has poured their heart and soul into their work.


This week's bounty: lettuce, radish, spinach, broccoli, pac choi, kale, dill cilantro