Sunday, July 10, 2016

July 12th and 15th

Love of Food

Most people's blogs, facebook and photo albums are full of selfies.  Ours are full of pictures of food. Raw veggies, cooked dishes, plates of delectable meals, kitchen scenes and every once in awhile a person's face.  Even when we travel, you will be hard pressed to find a photo of us, but there will be zillions of the meals we indulged in, both at restaurants and on the grass of a park, scenes of markets and street vendors. 

It was meant to be, a farmer marrying a lover of food.  Although I was not a farmer when we first met, the universe knew we would be a perfect fit.  I know I have said before how lucky I am to have a husband who loves to cook.  Not only does he love to cook, but he is inventive and a genius at using whatever is in our fridge.  He rarely looks at a recipe and therefore is not lured into having to buy special ingredients for one meal.  I bring up tat soi, Spring Day cheese, turnips and greens, radish and their tops and he whips up chicken with cheesy grits and roasted veggies and greens.  I bring up radish, asparagus, peas and a few onions we decapitated while weeding and he whips up pork stir fry. It's a good thing too, I would waste away in the summer just eating raw veg while harvesting. 



The meals I make are more simple, straight forward and raw.  Sometimes it's because I am tired and want to cook something quick, but generally it's just because that's my personality.  My specialties are a quick saute of every veggie in sight, pasta primavera or veggies with peanut sauce.  I also like to bake and I make mean chocolate raspberry topping for ice cream.  This was my breakfast this morning.  Zach is not into pancakes, so I ate them all myself.  I am savoring the strawberries in every way I can.


This is a photo of Zach's favorite kitchen item, the Wok.  It cooks meat and veggies in a flash, keeping them crispy and super tasty.  


This is giardiniera Zach made last fall....and Italian condiment made of carrots, cauliflower, peppers and onions, vinegar. 


This is Zach showing that if you cut off the "silver skin" from steaks and other beef cuts, it make the meat much more flavorful and easier to eat after cooking.  

I won't bore you with our whole photo album, I think you get the picture. (Ah!)  I hope you all have as much fun eating your Little Ridge Farm food as we do!!!


This Week's Bounty: lettuce, arugula, chinese cabbage, beets, hakurei, scallions, snap peas and dill