Monday, August 18, 2014

August 19th and 22nd

MUDDER

Def: A horse that runs well and wins often on muddy tracks.  (it can also be used for athletes or sports teams...maybe we should add farmers too!)
 

Jean and I aren't quite the mudders yet, but we are working on it.  Wonder if there are work horses that are mudders, or just race horses.  My tractor is a mudder.  Although I am not sure who is eating who up...the mud or the John Deere!


 
It's not all slop out here.  And even though we have been using some pretty stinky soil amendments this year (crushed, picked crabs that smell horrible), there are still some sweet aromas as well.  In the mornings, when I walk by the winter squash blossoms, a soft sweet smell floats through the air.  It took me a bit to figure out where it was coming from, but now I make sure to take time to smell the "squash blossoms" every morning.


Hope your dinner aromas are just as heavenly!


This week's loot: lettuce, Ailsa Craig onions (large and sweet!), green beans, kale, carrots, cukes, zukes, summer squash, fennel, sweet peppers, eggplant, melons, tomatoes and basil... I think that's it, but I could be missing something...

Next week's hopefuls: new potatoes, beets, chard, cilantro

The Farmer's Table:
*hamburgers stacked high with tomato, pickle, cheese and peach mostarda---YUM!
*cucumber slices
*blueberries
*cole slaw