Sunday, June 9, 2013

June 11th and 14th: chasing tails

A few Wicked Busy Weeks in Review: 

We found a calm early morning and put on the hoop house plastic....then worked several more hours on details....with the help of many it is finally finished....and planted with tomatoes, cucumbers and a few zucchini!!!

Spring came in full throttle this year...loads of gorgeous flowers, dandelions and cool weather...now it is merging into summer bringing tiny fruits...and weeds

Potatoes planted!  Nearly a month later than I usually do, but I think they will do just fine.
 
Today was spent tackling these thousands of seedlings for transplanting (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, celeriac, squashes, pac choi, peppers and lettuce.  I got maybe 1/3 done.  And am hoping for clear skies Monday so I can finish...and maybe have dry fields/time to seed corn, pumpkins and carrots and still have time to weed the strawberries before the rain?!

Many thoughts went into the cows these past few weeks:  fencing, feeding and stressing about their possible escape.  We let one or two out at a time of the corral this year which I think was a good decision since the first three we let out ran though the fence.  But since their buddies were still in the corral, they came back.  Whew!

Now they are happily grazing OUTSIDE the corral and INSIDE the fence.  (I think.)
 
It's been a whirlwind spring.  Farming usually is, but for some reason this year seems more hectic than others. Sometimes I feel like I am chasing my tail. For the most part, crops look amazing and the rain we had was welcome, although I could do without several days of it this week.  My window for being able to work in the fields between rain events is sometimes very narrow.  Which would be fine if all crops grew like radishes and they would be ready in 25 days from seeding.  Instead most crops must be seeded 3-5 months in advance.  Farming takes more planning than most people realize.  And Maine's growing season is short...like three months.  June is the craziest month, almost every thing you eat, including winter crops, must be planted now so they have time to grow before the first frost or freeze.  But in June, I also can't forget to harvest what I have already sown, or neglect the weeds or forget to trellis the peas or....not have time to write the blog!!! 
 
I wouldn't trade my job for anything.  I love it.  It crushes me at times and I take it very seriously.  In the end, however, it fulfills me, blesses me and constantly amazes me what can come from one tiny seed.
 
Thank you for joining our CSA this year, I hope you enjoy.
 

This week's bounty:

lettuce, arugula, hakurei turnips with greens, kohl rabi with greens, tat soi, scallions, asparagus, the last of the winter carrots/parsnips

Plus an annual plant from Four Duck Pond:  She is right around the corner and has a great supply of annual plants in her greenhouse--check it out! https://www.facebook.com/fourduckpondgreenhouse?fref=ts

TAT SOI--it's the new spinach!  It has a mild mustard flavor and goes well with eggs, pasta, soup, stir fry.  Tat soi wilts quickly, so use it first.  It was harvested the day you picked it up, so even if it does wilt, just cook it the flaovor and nutrition will still be grand.

KOHL RABI--it's sort of like a sweet broccoli stem.  Separate the leaves and store them separate--you will need to use them sooner rather than later as they will wilt.  Use the leaves like kale.  The bulb can be eaten raw or cooked.  If cooking no need to peel, but if you are eating raw and you find the skin too tough (try it first bc peeling anything--carrots, cucumbers etc--you lose nutritional value!)

***check out the recipe list to the right ---------------------------------------------->