Tuesday, August 14, 2012

August 14th and 17th: The Totes

Crates, Buckets and the Ford 

(ahh if only I could have captured the aroma of this harvest in the picture!)
This time of year harvesting is a daily task: cukes, zukes and melons.  Tomatoes and greenbeans every 3 days.  Zach brought home a pile of pickle buckets from a deli and I would argue that they have been the most used item on this farm.  We fill them with everything; weeds, rocks, soil, seed, compost, nutrients...and the clean ones are used for harvesting beans, cukes, zukes, melons, corn, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli and peas.  Then the items are gently placed or poured into the black crates.  These crates are my prize possession.  Good harvest crates, at a reasonable price, are hard to find, and I lucked out with these.  Although I would love to get about 100 more of them!  And then the there's the Ford. This truck was my grandfather's, equipped with the works: power steering, windows (although one is broken), locks and A/C.  It's been a great truck and my preference between the two I have, but when it rains it gets stuck, really stuck and I have to move to the 4x4.


The turkeys are out and loving it!!!

This week's Bounty: lettuce, carrots, greenbeans, summer squash, zucchini, melons, chinese cabbage, beets, parsley, basil, dill, cilantro, potatoes, tomatoes and cukes!


Last night's Dinner:  Angel Hair Pasta Primavera.  Mmmmm!