Tuesday, September 25, 2018

September 25th and 28th

HAPPY DAYS

Well the shift in the weather was slightly drastic, but welcome (to me anyway!)  I will admit currently my hands are a bit numb and typing is difficult.  I just washed the lettuce in what felt like warm water (in comparison to the air), but apparently it was not as warm as I thought!  We did cover a few sensitive crops this weekend just in case of frost.  We had some patchy spots in real low lying areas, but nothing drastic.  It is hard to let all the beautiful color go, so I am happy the flowers were spared for another week!


It's Pepper Time!  Mid September marks the time when the peppers are in full production and harvest is full of surprises.  This week, we had a few funny folk; horns, ears and mouths : )  We have been using the peppers as a scoop or utensil or vehicle for things like hummus, tuna salad and cheese.  Super sweet and gorgeous to look at, it's a crop to be enjoyed!


Then there is this silly farm entertainment! We harvested sweet potatoes Monday and fed all of the vines to the pigs.  They were the picture of "Hog Heaven", laying on a bed of soft vines while munching half asleep.  I mean look at that guys smile on the left!!


This Week's Bounty: lettuce, arugula, chard, radish, celery, fennel, beet, hot/sweet pepper, eggplant, onion, winter squash, edamame, basil, dill, cilantro