Sunday, July 17, 2016

July 19th and 22nd

A Misty Morning


I awoke this morning to rain softly falling.  It sounded so lovely, foreign almost.  So many times I have walked the farm this early summer and thought to myself "it already feels like August" ...perennials look tired, the grass is crispy, leaves are slightly yellow.  This morning was humid.  I walked around in shorts and a tank top, getting wet, but enjoying it.  I think I even heard the plants singing.




All the animals were up and tromping in the mist.  Getting some grub before the day's heat set in and the cool drops of rain evaporate.  The pigs and turkeys are never camera shy...the cows however, well, most were hiding in the barn...


 


Lots of new crops are on the horizon...cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, baby carrots!


This Week's Bounty: lettuce, kohl rabi, scallions, zuchinni/summer squash(?), kale, chard, hakurei turnip, sugar snap peas, parsley and basil