Tuesday, May 14, 2019

May 14th and 17th

Planting Planting Planting!

Between drops of rain we have managed to find a few dry spots of soil and have planted thousands of plants already.  Yeah!!  It is a sophisticated process which sometimes takes hours to plant just one crop.  This time of year, the added part is to cover everything we plant.  It makes a tent-like cover over the beds and keeps the plants a bit warmer in the cool wet weather.  It will also help protect them from insects who will begin to emerge and make their way to feeding sites soon.  


We are lucky to have a great crew this year!  I had to hire 3 people to replace the one fabulous Jean.  They are doing awesome, picking away at the task list and getting so many things done when we have a break in the weather.  So far, with their help, I feel like we are pretty caught up on things.  I am a bit anxious about wet soils.  (I am sure many of you have noticed the excess of rain)  Most of my fields are still very wet.  I have not been able to "prepare seed beds". This means creating a smooth surface to plant tiny seeds like carrots, arugula, turnips.... So I am behind in getting these in the ground.  We were lucky enough to get peas in the ground.  Those seeds are larger and can take clumpier soil.  I have faith once I am able to get the smaller seeds in the ground, they will catch up and we will be enjoying them sooner than we think!


I am grateful for this spring and am looking forward to this year's bounty.  We have an excellent number of CSA shares and are also adding some new wholesale sales as well as producing hemp for CBD oil.  I will give you more info on that soon, so stay tuned!

Welcome new shareholders and welcome back old friends!  I hope you find season with Little Ridge Farm full of flavor, good energy and exciting visits to the farm. 
THANK YOU for your support and love!


This Week's Bounty: spinach, lettuce, spring parsnips, storage carrots, beets, garlic, onions