Monday, July 16, 2012

July 17th and 20th: Tools

Hoe Hoe Hoe!


1.25" of rain Sunday night...nice we needed that!  The soil is a nice chocolate brown again and the plants are just bursting.  Prior to the rain, the soil was a crunchy sandy looking color, dusty when walked on and felt a bit like concrete.  IF I could stand being out in the heat for more than a half an hour, it was great weed killin' weather.  I have to admit, one of my favorite farming tasks is hoeing.  Hoeing when the weeds are tiny (thread stage) and easy to kill.  I use three 3 hoes mostly; wheel hoe, stirrup hoe, colinear hoe.  They are all European, of course, and when sharp, deadly. Weed free beds means less disease and happier plants : ) 

 TURKEYS have arrived and are super cute!!!  A week old this Thursday.  50 of them.  When they are this small, they LOVE this heat. In fact I still have 2 heat lamps on them and they still don't think it is too hot.  Maybe I can train them to do farm work while I stay inside and keep cool...


THIS WEEK'S HARVEST: lettuce, radish, mini purplette onions, chard, chinese cabbage, a few carrots and cukes, mint, tarragon, oregano

SOON TO COME: garlic, new potatoes and more cukes


LAST NIGHT'S DINNER: Grilled Little Ridge Farm Filet Mignon salad with arugula, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes (teasers..there are just enough early ones out there for Zach and I to eat...a treat for us where as we usually eat the leftover "ugly" veg!) and homemade garlic bread...and a little pino grigio of course