Thursday, November 17, 2011

November 17th

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday.  It is not cluttered with gifts or thoughts of glitter and trim.  The day is set around being thankful.  Simple and sweet.  Of course being a farmer, I am surrounded by good food.  And the bounty of it is humbling.  A season of hard work, sweat and sometimes tears goes into this food, but in the beginning it started from a small seed.  The wonderous growth of a plant never ceases to amaze me.  And now we will feast.  May your holiday be filled with the wonderous gift of food and simple thankgivings.


The cooler is so packed with storage veggies, I have to open the door slowly so potato sacks don't come tumbling out. I still have another 24 crates of onions and potatoes to sqeeze in there before the temps drop too low!


Generally November is my least favorite month of the year. I think of it as cold, wet, dreary. In fact it is time of year we usually sneak away from the farm for a week and head south to a sandy beach. Sometimes we return (still wearing our sandals) and step off the plane into snow or near zero temps--our car barely starting after it has sat idle for so long. But this year I dawned my chacos and cotton skirt and felt extremely warm. Yesterday I walked around the farm and fully enjoyed the patchwork of green across the fields. Everything looked so alive, vibrant and rich. It is nice to be home.
Since it has been so warm--we will have greens at pick up today!!! Now I know some of you say that you don't like kale, but if there were ever a time to try it--this is it!!! The colder nights have sweetened it nicely and it makes one feel strong and energized, like Popeye and his spinach.  Seriously.  I love this website where they say "Kale is king....and it is a dreamfood" 

Thanksgiving Harvest: kale, tat soi, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, pumpkins, winter squash, onions, garlic, beets, cranberries, apples and homemade rolls

Thank you for sharing in our harvest!  Blessings on your meal, Keena