Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Week 21--The Last Pick Up


Well, here it is. The last week of Summer CSA pick-ups. It has been a pleasure growing food for all of you and getting to know you and your families. I admit, having a little winter break will be nice, but I am already making plans for next year and am excitedly awaiting the seed catalogue's' arrival in the mail.
In the future, if you are interested, I plan to have a Winter Share. This would be a once a month pickup of mostly storage vegetables from Nov-April. Right now, however, I am maxed out on storage in my "little" walk in cooler. I would need to build/find more storage space before I venture into Winter Shares. This is part of the reason why I created the Holiday Shares. It is a way for me to get food to you guys a little longer, maximizing but not exceeding the storage space I currently have. Which brings me to a little reminder: even though I have called them Holiday Shares--(it was just a marketing tool, which has actually come back to haunt me) all of the food is storage able food. Meaning, what you pick up from me in November could actually be stored in your home and eaten in March. My point is, even if you are not having guests for the holidays, the food will not go to waste!!! It is a way for you to prolong getting local carrots, potatoes, onions, beets, winter squash, cabbage, garlic...So don't be shy, sign up!
HOLIDAY SHARES still open--you don't need guests to eat them, it's just a fancy name for a winter share!!!
I do however, sell whatever food I have left after the Holiday Shares at the Winter Market at Fort Andros in Brunswick. It's a great market, check it out!
Saturdays 9-12:30, November-April
This Week's Loot: Fennel, Parsley Root, Beets, Carrots, Leeks, Potatoes, Kale, Spinach, Winter Squash
Fennel: This delectable little (yes, they are smaller than usual) has a strong fennel, or black licorice, flavor. It is great raw or cooked. In salads or soups. You can steam it, blanch it, saute it. Great with fish or chicken...
Parsley Root: This fun root has a strong, you guessed it, parley flavor. It too can be eaten raw or cooked. I shredded it last not on my salad. You could use it in soups, your mashed potatoes...the possibilities are endless!
Stock up and Enjoy. Have a great winter!