Looks like there will definitely be no surge of tomatoes this year, so be sure to fill up on other summer veggies like cucumbers and summer squash.
Just thought I would put this photo in case you were hot. Simon is running over where your carrots are now growing : )
This week's loot: Lots of herbs!!!! They all dry or freeze nicely, so don't be shy.
Lime Basil--use like a lime; in drinks, pasta, Thai dishes...
Holy Basil--this great in Thai dishes too, but I really like it as a sun tea
Lemon Balm--use it like a lemon...
Mint--sun tea, mix it with some of the other herbs
The last of the beans, lettuce, carrots, onions, potatoes, chard, cucs, zucs, summer squash, a tomato
Next week's loot: lettuce, green cabbage, potatoes, cucs, zucs, summer squash, garlic, a tomato...
Pack mason jar with your choice of herbs
Cover with water
Set Jar in the sun for at least 2 hours
Pour over ice, while straining out the herbs
Sweeten with honey or maple syrup
Gratin of Potato and Summer Squash
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1# of zucchini or yellow squash, cut 1/8 inch thick
1# potatoes, cut 1/8 inch thick
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp sage, thyme, rosemary
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 c grated parm cheese
1. Combine oil and garlic, simmer for 2 minutes. Set aside for 15 to allow garlic to infuse into oil. Remove and discard garlic (or reuse)
2. Lightly grease a 12x9 pan. make 2 layers of the zuc, potatoes and onion, sprinkling each layer with the herbs, salt and pepper. Top with cheese and drizzle the oil over.
3. Cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350F (or less since potatoes are new taters). Let stand for 10 minutes.
Zucchini Feta Pancakes
4 eggs, separated
4 c. shredded zucchini
1 c. finely crumbled feta cheese
1/2 c. finely chopped green onions
1 T. fresh of
1 t. dried mint
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
Oil for frying
1. Combine everything except egg whites, toppings and oil. Mix well.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter mixture.
3. Heat oil until very hot. Drop about 1/8 cup batter for each pancake. Cook on both sides until crisp.